Friday, May 27, 2011

An Ode to Dogs...

Our 2 year old labradoodle Winston is feeling a little under the weather. Normally he is bouncing around the house nonstop eating anything he can get his teeth on (socks, toilet paper, stuff from the trash, etc.). Today he has been lying around the house all day and not eating much of anything. It breaks my heart to see my dogs (or any furry creature) when they are sick.

I always tell people how I love dogs more than people, which is true (well besides my immediate family). When I was little, I always had multiple pets at a time. Dogs, Hamsters, a rabbit, a turtle, and the list goes on. My cousin and I used to walk around my neighborhood and find dead animals to have funeral services for. We would use the neighbors empty birdbath to place the body for our ceremony and we would even sing a hymn or two. To end the ceremony we would bury the animal in my parents backyard (I'm sure they loved this.) Basically, I love animals, especially dogs.

I love coming home to my dogs at the end of a long day and seeing how excited they are to see me... cuddling on the couch with them... how they comfort me when I am going through a rough time... how they aren't judgmental... how they love unconditionally... they really are man's (and woman's) best friends.

I am so thankful to have two furry friends in my family. The following quotes are in honor of my current dogs, future dogs, and my sweet dogs that have passed the rainbow bridge:

"Dogs' lives are too short.  Their only fault, really."  ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull


"My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet."  ~Edith Wharton


"One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why."  ~Author Unknown


"My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am."  ~Author Unknown


Darby and Winston

Winston napping

Huh?

Pretty Darby

No comments: