Monday, August 8, 2011

Stress...

   As far back as I can remember, I have been a worrier. I worry about little things (waking up late, cooking, a cough, etc.) and I worry about the big things (paying bills, my family's health, being a good mommy, losing someone I love, etc.). As another school year approaches, I have started to worry. This worrying never really started to "worry" me until last year, last February to be exact. 


   While trying to juggle being a good mom and being a good teacher, I reached my breaking point. One day, in the midst of standardized state testing my left arm started tingling and my face went numb. I panicked and rushed to the emergency room as soon as school was over that day. After numerous tests and many dollars later, they couldn't find out what was wrong with me. The strange tingling feeling continued the next few days and suddenly I developed a new symptom... my skin felt like it was sunburnt, but it was in the middle of winter. I would spend hours Googling what was wrong with me. I was shocked to find so many people with similar experiences. After numerous trips to my family doctor, an MRI, and an MS scare, they still couldn't figure out what was going on and attributed the symptoms to stress.


   I made it through the rest of the school year with the symptoms occurring off and on. As suddenly as these symptoms started, when my summer break began, the symptoms completely disappeared. I had the most relaxing summer with Ruby. I am dreading the thought of that feeling coming back. I am going to try my hardest when things get stressful while juggling work and home, to stop and appreciate these moments I have. I really want to be able to let go of the little things that really don't matter in the end and know in my heart that I am doing the best I can... and that has to be enough. 

No comments: